This Tipsy New Orleans BBQ Shrimp is sweet, spicy, salty and sour. Packed with a boozy punch from Red Leg’s spice rum making it the ultimate comfort food all year round. Vegan substitutions available.
Tipsy New Orleans BBQ Shrimp
Most of the alcohol will cook off, if you’re wanting a bit more of a boozy dish use 1/2 cup of rum.
Serving suggestions: Serve with white rice, sweet potato mash, or dip a crusty loaf in the buttery sauce – whatever takes your fancy!
- For the Marinade
- 1/3-1/2 cup Red Leg Spiced Rum
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/3 cup raw honey/light agave/maple syrup
- 1" fresh root ginger (peeled)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 2-3 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- For the Shrimp
- 330g sustainably sourced raw jumbo king prawns (peeled and de-veined) OR 400g cremini/portobello mushrooms (cubed)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 50g grass-fed organic butter OR 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 spring onions (finely chopped)
- A few sprigs of fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
Start by putting all of the ingredients for your marinade into your 650ml Nutri Ninja Cup and select the Nutri Ninja Auto-iQ ULTRA BLEND program. Set to one side.
Place your peeled and de-veined king prawns (or mushrooms) into a zip lock bag and pour over your marinade. Seal and leave to marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Using the food processor bowl with the chopping blade, add in your onion and attach the lid. Select LOW/DOUGH and process until finely chopped.
Add your olive oil to a skillet or frying pan and fry the onions until softened. Pour in your king prawns (or mushrooms) and marinade. Simmer on a low to medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in your butter (or olive oil) until melted. Serve immediately and garnish with the spring onions and fresh parsley.