One sure way to get my son to eat vegetables is to hide them in a soup. This delicious and warming soup uses up a load of surplus vegetables and combines them with a little chicken and some lentils to make the perfect after school meal.
Chicken and Vegetable Soup with Lentils
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red Onion sliced finely
- 1 lb chicken Breast cut into large cubes
- 4-6 cloves Garlic (Depending on taste)
- 1 inch fresh Ginger finely grated
- 1 large courgette chopped into chunks
- 400g baby Potatoes chopped into small cubes
- 2 sticks celery chopped into chunks
- 2 large carrots chopped into chunks
- 3 spring onions sliced finely
- 100g red Lentils washed and drained
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- To taste salt and pepper
Add the oil to a large pot over medium/high heat. Bring a large kettle of water to the boil.
Stir in the red onion and cook for 3-4 minutes before adding the chicken, garlic and ginger. Cook the chicken for a further 3 – 4 minutes and then add all the remaining ingredients. Pour the boiled water into the pot until all the vegetables are covered. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil. This will take around 4 – 5 minutes
Then turn the heat to low and simmer covered for a further 25 – 30 minutes. Allow the soup to cool to room temperature and then ladle into a blender in batches and blend till combined.